Thursday, May 21, 2009



For several weeks in May, Rivers seniors embark on self-directed independent study projects that can involve anything from volunteering at a soup kitchen to, say, earning a rocketry certification. Over the next few weeks, we will be periodically checking in with a handful of students to learn more about their experiences. Today, we hear from Liza Warshaver, who is training to run the Vermont city marathon and raise money for the Heated Lions, a basketball team for special-needs students.
.
I just got word in today that a group of the Heated Lions athletes (some shown above) will be making the trip up to Burlington, Vermont with their families to cheer me on sunday morning at the race! I know it will make the race that much more meaningful and exciting having the kids there with me! It is so heartwarming to see the support I am getting from so many friends and families as I support the Special Olympics Heated Lions. Donations have kept rolling in, and I am so thankful for everyones' generosity; I know the athletes are beyond greatful for all of the support for the organization.
.
Three days left until the big day. What I am most focused on over the next few days is nutrition for the race. Carbohydrates are especially important the two days and the night before the race. Carbohydrates should consume about 70% of your daily diet intake. The best type of carbohydrate is one that is low in GI so that your blood glucose levels maintain a steady state. Carbohydrates are slower to break down so they will provide your body with energy during the race.
.
Friday and Saturday are rest days for me, and I must be sure to get plenty of it in order to be fully rested and energized when Sunday morning rolls around. The race is almost here!
.
-Liza Warshaver

No comments: