Monday, May 25, 2009





For several weeks in May, Rivers seniors embark on self-directed independent study projects that can involve anything from volunteering at a soup kitchen to, say, earning a rocketry certification. Over the next few weeks, we will be periodically checking in with a handful of students to learn more about their experiences. Today, we hear from Liza Warshaver, who is training to run the Vermont city marathon and raise money for the Heated Lions, a basketball team for special-needs students.
.
What a day yesterday! The race was a success! The event began Saturday afternoon when my dad, mom, sister and I road tripped the 3.5 hour drive to Burlington, Vermont. Upon arrival we dinned at the local Italian restaurant for a large carbohydrate filled dinner of pasta to fuel our bodies for the race the following morning. After an early dinner, we headed back to our hotel rooms for a good night sleep. My alarm woke me bright and early at 6:15am and we were out the door by quarter of 7. After a simple breakfast of a bagel and a banana, we made our way to the starting line on Battery Street. Meeting us there were Anne, a Heated Lions athlete, Liz, Anne's mother, and Rebecca Lynch, co-founder of the organization. After pictures were taken and hugs were given, we dropped my dad off at the starting line and took our places to cheer on the runners as they took off.
.
My dad ran the first 13.1 miles making great time, and I met him at the midway relay mark right at the time I was expecting him. He handed me the chip that went around each runner's ankle, and I was off! With my ipod playing music to pump me up, crowds of people lined up along the sides of the course, and my determination and dedication to the Special Olympics Heated Lions, my running adrenaline kicked in! As I passed the signs for each mile, I knew I was one step closer to the finish line. Once I saw the sign for mile 23 and knew that there were only 3 miles remaining I picked up speed and thought of crossing that finish line. When I finally reached the mile 25 mark, with 1 mile remaining and the crowd roaring, I ran the last of the course with a smile on my face and a huge sense of accomplishment as I reached the finish line to find my mom, dad, sister and Heated Lions fans cheering me on. It was such an amazing feeling to complete the half marathon, and for such a great cause. My dad and I recieved medals for our finish, and we captured some post-race pictures. A heartwarming moment after the race was when my dad took off his metal and placed it over Anne's head as she beamed with a smile on her face. She was so happy to be a champion, and she truly was for coming out and supporting my dad and me all the way up in Vermont!
.
After the race I got plenty of water and food to re-fuel my body as we headed back to the car for our long drive back home. I continued to wear the metal around my neck, and I felt a sense of pride and joy for my accomplishment. I was always the one who was proud of the Heated Lions athletes, but this time I knew they would be the ones proud of me! What a rewarding day it was!
.
-Liza Warshaver

No comments: