Tuesday, May 19, 2009





For several weeks in May, Rivers seniors embark on self-directed independent study projects that can involve anything from volunteering at a soup kitchen to, say, earning a rocketry certification. Over the next few weeks, we will be periodically checking in with a handful of students to learn more about their experiences. Today, we hear from Liza Warshaver, who is training to run the Vermont city marathon and raise money for the Heated Lions, a basketball team for special-needs students.
.
This week is the final week before the race. After a long 10 mile run over the weekend, I am now in "tappering mode," which is the week before the race when you take it easy to conserve your strength and energy for the big day; the schedule calls for a 4 mile, 3 mile, 2 mile run tuesday, wednesday and thursday, and the final two rest days on friday and saturday. Sunday is the big 13 mile day so I need to make sure I am fully rested and energized for the race!
.
The fundraising has been going extremely well. I have already raised over $4,000, just $1,000 shy of my set goal with still just under two weeks remaining in the projects. Above are pictures of the athletes and me, and each time I look at them I am reminded of how much they truly appreciate what I am doing and how greatly they will benefit from my help. Just like I am happiest when I am exercising or playing, so are the athletes, and with my help in raising money for the Special Olympic Heated Lions Organization they will be able to compete, play and do what they love most!
.
-Liza Warshaver

No comments: