Tuesday, May 19, 2009



For several weeks in May, Rivers seniors embark on self-directed independent study projects that can involve anything from volunteering at a soup kitchen to running a marathon. Over the next few weeks, we will be periodically checking in with a handful of students to learn more about their experiences. Today, we hear from Ian Brownstein, who is working on fulfilling his level I and II certification for rocketry.

This weekend I focused on the Terrier Booster of my Mini BBX. The internal construction was much easier to assemble than the upper-stage because the booster was just like many of the kits I had built in the past (except there was no nosecone to put on top). This was unlike the upper stage of the BBX which had a complex holding mechanism for the electronic that I was unfamiliar with. But, similar to the upper-stage, the spray-paint job was a pain. The basic process is shown step-by-step above but for some reason my white spray paint easily dripped forcing me to do countless coats in attempt to smooth the bumps on the booster. The end result was quiet a sight. The just short of seven-foot titian stands on its launch pad like a king on his throne. For a small time rocketeer who has only imagined a high-powered rocket this is truly and amazing sight. The only problem is that I have to wait until July 18th to launch it with the booster stage and see its full power. Only 60 days until liftoff!

No comments: